Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Modern Religious Experience: Modern Religious Experience: Reflection Question #...

Modern Religious Experience: Modern Religious Experience: Reflection Question #...: "Modern Religious Experience: Reflection Question #1: 'According to Mircea Eliade religion has 'not vanished without a trace; [it] has contri..."

I was an atheist just like a week ago. But after going to a Christian retreat I decided to have a religion, Christianity. I don't quite know why I chose this decision, but I don't think I would regret it. My whole family is Buddhist but I'm the only Christian. Because of this Buddhism has had many effects on my life. My great, great, great, great, Grandfather was one of the first Buddhists in Korea.
I have to pray for the dead every year by doing a ritual called Jae-Sa. We also have many family traditions related to Buddhism and many ancient artifacts, so in a way I can say my life is full of Buddhism. There are certain taboos in Buddhism such as not to eat meat. So as a child I wasn't allowed to eat a lot of meat because it was a taboo. Christianity had many effects also. Such as praying before I eat or praying for anything special. I also read the Bible or any important scriptures. Christianity has affected the way I believe in things and showed me that solid facts are not always important, but having faith in something that might not be real may be important. Therefore, I can say that my whole life was highly affected by religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment